Saturday, 19 July 2014

Romance Concern

So, I'm working on my current manuscript (we'll shorten that to ms), and I'm coming across this scene in chapter four, and I really hate it. Of course, the entire story is very first-draft-y, so I'm not extremely concerned because I can always change it in revision.
But.
The two characters are meant to fall in love during the book, and they have basically just met and the main female character (Ember) is trying to convince herself that is she isn't feeling anything for Axel, seeing as they just met. She is pushing him away as best she can, as she has to leave the village and chase her evil psychopath mother and kill her. Axel wants to come with her, knowing the journey would be extremely dangerous. Ember pushes him away, not wanting to fall in love when she is practically walking straight in to her own death.
Anyways.
I feel like I was trying to squeeze some proof that Axel was falling for Ember, but it all seemed so fake. I don't know. I guess I'll find out during revision...

My question for all you writers out there: Do you ever feel that you are writing a cheesy, fake romance? Do you have trouble making it real and believable?

No comments:

Post a Comment